This Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken recipe only use 5 simple ingredients. It's loaded with incredible flavor and a subtle spicy kick from pepperoncini peppers.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Easy to prepare right in the crock pot
- Tender and juicy chicken every time
- Ranch flavor with a tanginess from the peppers
- Great for meal prep
This slow cooker chicken recipe is a spin off from the famous Mississippi Pot Roast. It takes those same wonderful flavors of ranch seasoning and a kick from mild Italian peppers and transforms them into a chicken dish that will get rave reviews every single time!
If you're looking for busy weeknight meal that comes together quickly and is guaranteed to be something the whole family will love, you're really going to love this recipe! And as an added bonus, because this is a one pot meal, cleanup is a cinch! You've simply got to try this one!
What's in Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Chicken broth
- Pepperoncini juice from the jar
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Mississippi Chicken
Pour the chicken stock and pepperoncini juice in the insert of your slow cooker, then add in the chicken breasts.
Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.
Add in the sliced pepperoncini peppers.
Lastly, slice the butter into pieces and place it on top of the chicken.
Then and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
Once the chicken is tender and falling apart, remove it from the slow cooker.
Shred the chicken, add it back in with the juices and stir to combine, then serve.
How to Serve this Mississippi Chicken
One of the great things about this recipe is that it's family friendly. If you're watching your carb intake, but you have others in the family that aren't, this recipe allows you to serve it different ways that will make everyone happy.
For low carb options, you can serve Mississippi Slow Cooker Chicken with a Cobb Salad, over seasoned Cauliflower Rice, alongside Loaded Cauliflower Casserole, or with any of your favorite green veggies like Roasted Brussels or Cheesy Asparagus.
For the non-low carb eaters in your family, you could serve this over mashed potatoes, rice or even in a hoagie bun with provolone cheese melted over the top.
How to Make Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken
If you're pressed for time and need dinner in a flash, this same recipe can be made in the Instant Pot.
- Put chicken in the bottom of the inner pot of the cooker.
- Add the other ingredients on top.
- Turn the knob to the sealed position and set it to pressure cook for 18 minutes.
- When the cook time is finished, allow the chicken to have a 5-minute natural release, followed by a quick release.
- Remove the chicken, shred it and add it back in with the juices.
Tips and Variations for Mississippi Chicken
- Chicken: You can use any chicken you like. If you prefer the dark meat of chicken, you'll want to use boneless skinless thighs. Trust me on this because the chicken will cook until it falls off the bone, and it's no fun picking the bones out. Because chicken thighs are so fatty, you will want to cut back on the butter to ⅓ cup if you choose to use them instead of chicken breasts.
- Creamy version: This recipe makes more a broth-type juice. If you're wanting more of a creamy base, add in a block of cream cheese and let the creaminess begin. As the chicken cooks, the cream cheese will melt. When you shred the chicken, the broth becomes a rich and creamy sauce.
- Bacon and cheese: Bacon, cheddar and ranch always go hand-in-hand. Once the chicken has cooked add a handful of bacon crumbles in with the shredded chicken. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and you'll have a whole new spin on this classic chicken recipe!
- Extra spicy: If you aren't feeding the kiddos and want extra kick, you can add in a few pickled jalapeño peppers.
- Seasoning: This recipe calls for a homemade ranch seasoning blend. But you can certainly use the store bought ranch seasoning packet instead. If you're following Keto or a low carb diet, just be sure and check those labels for added sugars.
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Soup
- Turkey Breast with Gravy
- Southern Green Beans
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- BBQ Meatballs
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
- 2 tablespoons homemade ranch seasoning, or one packet of store bought
- ½ cup butter
- 12 pepperoncini peppers, sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup pepperoncini juice from the jar
- Pour the chicken stock and pepperoncini juice in the insert of your slow cooker, then add in the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.
- Add in the sliced pepperoncini peppers.
- Lastly, slice the butter into pieces and place it on top of the chicken, then and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Once the chicken is tender and falling apart, remove it from the slow cooker. Shred the chicken, add it back in with the juices and stir to combine, then serve.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
We are wanting to make this for family dinner, but our friend has gallbladder issues and the peppers wouldn't sit well. Is there. Lighter pepper we could use?
Keto Cooking Christian
Pepperoncini peppers has a Scoville rating of 100 which is amount the mildest pepper there is next to sweet banana peppers. If you can find those pickled that would be a good substitute.