This tasty Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner! It also freezes beautifully, so it’s great for meal prep as well!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
I came up with this recipe because there are many times where I’m super busy all day, and don’t have time or energy to make dinner. I’m sure you’ve all been there and for those times, it’s really nice to have something in the freezer, portioned out and ready to thaw and reheat.
Casseroles are great for those times and there are several that I like to make and freeze, like my Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole, Chicken Florentine, Beef Stroganoff Casserole and Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, to name a few. They’re hearty, filling and super easy to make!
To give it lots of classic cheeseburger flavor, I added onions, mushrooms and cheddar cheese! You can add your favorite toppings and make it your own!
What’s in Keto Cheeseburger Casserole?
- Ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Uncured bacon
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Sugar-free ketchup
- Yellow mustard
- Optional Toppings: Shredded lettuce, chopped (sugar-free) pickles, chopped fresh tomatoes
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Keto Casserole
Add your bacon to a large skillet and cook until crisp. Remove, drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces.
Leaving a little of the bacon grease in the pan, sauté the mushrooms and onions for 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it. Remove and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Using the same pan, add in the ground beef and brown. Drain well, then mix in the onions, mushrooms and garlic.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, ketchup, mustard, 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, Worcestershire, cream cheese, heavy cream and most of the bacon (reserve a little for garnish). Mix for about 2 minutes using a hand mixer (or whisk) by hand, until well combined.
Pour the egg mixture over the top and mix in with the ground beef mixture, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is slightly golden.
Allow to cool slightly before serving.
The best thing about most any Keto casserole recipe is the generous portions they make. This makes an excellent choice if you’re wanting to meal prep or have dishes made in advance. This article, 25 Meal Prepping Ideas, has some additional excellent tips and recipes you may find helpful.
And if you’re family loves ground beef as much as mine, check out this fantastic Ground Beef Round Up for other great Keto recipes.
Optional: Serve with lettuce, tomato and pickle over the top.
Or you can add a drizzle of sugar-free ketchup and mustard.
Store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
Tips for Making the Best Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
The Mix and Substitutions for Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole
- For the meat, I use 85% ground beef that’s organic and grass-fed. On Keto, you can certainly use 80%, but you’ll want to make sure and really drain off any extra fat before adding to the casserole.
- I used 4 eggs in this casserole, primarily to act as a binder. If you want more of a quiche-like consistency, you can add 2-4 additional eggs. The eggs I use are cage-free and organic.
- I also used uncured bacon that has the lowest carbs and sugar. I prefer my bacon and cold cuts with no nitrates but sometimes you cannot avoid a smidge of sugar.
- The cheese I used is sharp cheddar, which is my favorite to serve on burgers. If you don’t like sharp cheddar, use any cheddar you like. Or you can use a different cheese all together, like Monterey Jack or Colby, if that’s what you like or have on hand. Keep in mind, though it does save time using pre-shredded, by shredding your own cheese, you avoid the anti-caking ingredients some brands use that may have hidden carbs.
- I used yellow onion, garlic and mushrooms in the mix, but if you want to omit either, you can. Keep in mind, they all contribute to the flavor of this casserole, so if you omit them, I’d replace with something else. Peppers would be a good alternative, if that’s what you like.
- I also added Worcestershire, sugar-free ketchup (I used G.Hughes, it’s my favorite) and yellow mustard to give the casserole a more burger-like flavor. If you prefer spicy mustard, you can use it instead. You can add more or less, depending on your taste. I think the recipe has a good balance as is.
- You can also give the casserole a more barbecue like flavor by substituting Low Carb BBQ sauce for the ketchup and mustard. The great thing is you can customize this casserole to your liking, depending on how you like your burgers to taste. So if there are other toppings that you prefer, by all means use what ever you like!
How do I Serve Keto Cheeseburger Casserole?
I tried several different ways of serving this casserole. I added chopped cooked bacon over the top because, well, who doesn’t LOVE bacon!
I also added shredded lettuce, tomatoes from my garden and pickle. You can serve this way or you can also add a drizzle of mustard and ketchup or even mayonnaise, if you’d like. Alternatively, you can drizzle some Thousand Island Dressing over the top, which is great as well!
Can I Freeze Leftover Ground Beef Casseroles?
This is one of those casseroles where the leftovers not only taste great, but I think they taste even better! It also freezes and reheats really well, so it’s perfect for meal prepping.
You can portion out and freeze in an air tight container for up to a couple of months for those days when you’re pressed for time and need something you can thaw and reheat easily.
More Keto Casseroles
- Spinach Artichoke Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Easy Sausage & Pepper Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
If you would like to know more about how to meal prep for your Keto journey, check out this article for some great tips and recipes.
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole – Keto/Low Carb
- 2 pounds ground beef I use 85% organic grass-fed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 12 ounces of uncured bacon
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 4 whole eggs beaten
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Optional Toppings: Shredded lettuce chopped (sugar-frepickles, chopped fresh tomatoes
- Add your bacon to a large skillet and cook until crisp. Remove, drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces.
- Leaving a little of the bacon grease in the pan, sauté the mushrooms and onions for 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Using the same pan, add in the ground beef and brown. Drain well, then mix in the onions, mushrooms and garlic.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, ketchup, mustard, 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, Worcestershire, cream cheese, heavy cream and most of the bacon (reserve a little for garnish). Mix for about 2 minutes using a hand mixer (or whisby hand, until well combined.
- Pour ground beef mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole baking dish that’s been sprayed with non-stick spray, and spread evenly. Pour the egg mixture over the top and mix in with the ground beef mixture, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is slightly golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
- Optional: serve with lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard and/or any other burger toppings that you like.