Salad topped with mouth watering strips of tender grilled steak served with the best chipotle lime vinaigrette! A WOW factor salad you have to try!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Sometimes you're craving the crunch of a salad but need something a little more substantial to eat. Perfectly grilled, juicy skirt steak will fit the bill. It makes a great entrée while satisfying your crunch craving.
Skirt steak is marinated in an amazing sugar-free chipotle lime marinade that's absolutely bursting with flavor.
It's then grilled to perfection and sliced into strips. Placed on top of a crispy bed of lettuce then drizzled with another burst of flavor from an out of this world chipotle lime vinaigrette.
The warm steak and cool salad greens create a perfect contrast in texture and satisfy even the largest appetites!
What's in Grilled Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
- Skirt steak
- Lettuce/mixed greens
- English cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Smoked chipotle pepper
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sugar-free apricot jam
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
How to Make the Grilled Keto Steak Recipe
Add the steak to a food storage bag and pour the marinade over the top.
Seal up the bag and marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
After the steak has marinated, allow it to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes and heat up your grill.
Grill for several minutes on both sides until it reaches your desired level of doneness and check with a meat thermometer: 125F for rare, 135F for medium rare, 145F for medium, 150F for medium well or 160F for well done.
Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing, while you make the dressing and salad. Be sure to slice the steak against the grain. This will give you the most tender slices!
How to Make the Chipotle Lime Dressing
Taste the dressing, then add the stevia to taste. I found several drops worked perfectly for me.
How to Assemble the Salad
Add the lettuce to each bowl.
Add in the tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and avocado.
Top with sliced steak and a healthy drizzle of the dressing. Serve immediately.
What Toppings Do I Serve on Low Carb Skirt Steak Salad?
Cucumber, avocado, tomatoes and feta make the classic steak house salad, but, hey, change it up to suit whatever you're craving.
You can add pickled peppers, bell peppers, change the cheese to cheddar or another of your favorites, raw diced zucchini, red onion, green onion...the list is endless. Make it your own!
What is the Difference in Skirt Steak and Flank Steak?
They are similar in many ways, as both are used in fajitas and other Mexican dishes, but skirt steak has a higher fat content hence giving it the leading edge in flavor over flank.
If shopping for it, the appearance of the two are quite different. The skirt steak is a long and narrow piece of meat where the flank is rather wide and shorter.
What Can I Substitute for Skirt Steak?
You can always use flank steak as a substitute, but flavor wise, a sirloin tip is most similar. Flank steak is a more tender piece of meat and for that reason, when slicing skirt steak for serving, you should cut it in thin slices that go against the grain.
How Should Skirt Steak Be Cooked?
When grilling, skirt steak should be cooked to medium at the most. If you really prefer it cooked medium well, just make sure to slice it into thinner slices to ensure its tenderness.
Tips for Grilling the Perfect Steak
- Skirt steak should be cooked on a high heat, quickly. It's best when it is cooked on the grill, but on those rainy days when you just don't want to be outdoors, skirt steak will cook just fine in hot cast iron skillet as well.
- A citrus marinade really helps to tenderize skirt steak. Plan a head when making recipes using skirt or flank steak to allow plenty of time to marinate.
- To prevent over cooking, I strongly recommend using a meat thermometer to make sure you get even cooking and the desired temperature.
More Keto Grilled Recipes
If you love grilling as much as I do, here are some more Keto recipes to provided you some inspiration:
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Asian Grilled Chicken with Peanut Ginger Slaw
- Lime Cilantro Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Pesto over Zoodles
- Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
Is Vinaigrette Keto?
Not all vinaigrettes are created equal. Especially with store bought brands. You may be surprised to know that a lot of your store bought brands of dressings or vinaigrettes are loaded with sugar and preservatives that are not recommended for people on Keto or low carb diets. But this sugar free vinaigrette is perfectly acceptable for Keto!
Because store bought dressing are often not Keto friendly, it's recommended you make your own. This Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette is SUPER easy to make and has the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
I use a sugar free apricot Jam by Good Good. You can use other sugar free jams of your choice but the apricots in this Keto vinaigrette mixed with chipotle peppers lend an amazing flavor profile that just go together perfectly.
More Keto Chipotle Recipes
- Smokey Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken
- Baked Southwest Skillet with Chipotle Cream
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing and Dip
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
More Low Carb and Keto Salad Recipes
- Keto " Big Mac" Cheeseburger Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Egg Salad
- Zucchini Zoodle "Pasta" Salad
- Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Classic Cobb with Ranch Dressing
Grilled Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
FOR THE SALAD
- 8 cups mixed greens or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup English cucumber, sliced
- ⅔ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado (Haas), sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
FOR THE STEAK/MARINADE
TO MAKE THE GRILLED STEAK
- After the steak has marinated, allow it to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes and heat up your grill. Grill for several minutes on both sides until it reaches your desired level of doneness and check with a meat thermometer: 125F for rare, 135F for medium rare, 145F for medium, 150F for medium well or 160F for well done.
- Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing, while you make the dressing and salad. Be sure to slice the steak against the grain. This will give you the most tender slices!
TO MAKE THE CHIPOTLE LIME DRESSING
TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- Add the lettuce to each bowl, along with the tomatoes, cucumber and avocado. Top with sliced steak and a healthy drizzle of the dressing. Serve immediately.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.