This rich and decadent Keto Chocolate Lava cake is moist and fluffy with a gooey molten Nutella center. It’s what chocolate dreams are made of!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Rich and fluffy chocolate cake
- Thick and creamy chocolate “lava” oozing out
- Makes beautiful presentation
- Perfect for special occasions
- Sugar-free and low carb
Nutella lava cake has to be the champion of all low carb chocolate desserts. And you won’t believe how easy they are to make. These individual tender and moist chocolate cakes have a rich, homemade, warm Nutella center that deliciously oozes out when they are cut into.
Ready in under 15 minutes, lava cake is the perfect sugar-free dessert for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or for any special occasion. But it's also easy enough for those weekend afternoons when your chocolate cravings hit.
If you love the individual size of these chocolate cakes, you should also try these Strawberry Shortcake Mug Cakes and the bright and fluffy Mini Lemon Poppy Bundt Cakes.
🛒 What’s in Keto Lava Chocolate Cake
- Sugar-free nutella
- Monk fruit/allulose
- Super fine almond flour
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting)
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Low Carb Lava Cake
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Add the nutella into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or until it is melted and runny.
Tip: If you don't want to make your own sugar-free nutella, you can always use store bought instead.
In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, vanilla extract and sweetener, then whisk using a hand mixer for 3 minutes until frothy and lighter in color.
Tip: If you don't have a hand mixer, you can use a whisk, but it will take a bit longer.
Mix in the nutella.
Then mix in the almond flour, just until well combined.
Take 2 (7 ounce) ramekins that have been well buttered and dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder and place them on a small baking sheet.
Tip: Adding a dusting of cocoa powder really helps the cakes release easily from the ramekins.
Pour the batter into both ramekins and bake for 8-9 minutes or until the edges have set, but the center is still a little jiggly.
Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 1-2 minutes, then loosen the cakes using a knife. Invert the cakes onto small dessert plates.
Let them sit for another minute or so until they release the warm lava Keto cakes onto the plates.
Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sweetener, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and/or fresh berries.
Serving Suggestions for Sugar-Free Nutella Cake
These cakes are perfect just as they are because the gooey center acts as the ideal sauce for the cake. But if you're wanting to take these desserts to the next level, serve them with a scoop of some of this Keto Vanilla Ice Cream.
You can also serve with a dusting of sugar free powdered sweetener, topped with a dollop of homemade whipped cream, or topped with some of your favorite fresh berries.
Why is it Called a Lava Cake?
This dessert is called lava cake simple because when you cut into it, the center oozes out like lava.
What is the Difference Between Molten Cake and Lava Cake?
Though the two names are often used interchangeably, but there are a few differences between a lava cake and molten cake.
Molten cake usually has a more dense, cakey texture, while lava cake is fluffier and lighter. Also, most often, molten cake is made in a single, round cake size pan, while lava cakes are made in individual ramekins
Is Nutella Allowed on Keto? Is Nutella High in Carbs?
Regular, store-bought Nutella is not recommended for Keto. A two tablespoon-sized serving contains over 20 carbs, with 21 grams of sugar, the equivalent of 5 teaspoons of sugar.
By making this Sugar Free Nutella recipe, you can enjoy your favorite hazelnut spread guilt-free with only 2 net carbs per serving.
Other Delicious Ways to Use Homemade Sugar-Free Nutella
Once you taste this delicious hazelnut chocolate spread, you're going to want to make a double batch. Here are some wonderful, low carb ways you can put it to good use:
- It makes the best Chocolate Nutella Brownies ever!
- Spread on these Keto Biscuits
- Make this delicious Nutella Mousse
- As a sauce over Coffee Chip Ice Cream
- As a dipping sauce for these Keto Lady Fingers
- Serve it with your morning Keto Waffles
What if I Don't Have Ramekins?
If you don't have individual ramekins, you can make this recipe in smaller portions in silicone muffin pan. Keep in mind, because they are smaller, they will take less time to cook, so be sure and keep an eye on them.
What is a Lava Cake Made of?
Traditional lava cake is made with flour, sugar, eggs and some sort of chocolate.
For this sugar free version, almond flour, Keto Nutella and a sugar substitute is used to make sure even those following a strict Keto diet can enjoy them.
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
- Keto Chocolate Lasagna
- Keto Chocolate Layer Cake
- Silky Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Keto Chocolate Avocado Brownies
- Keto Chocolate Pudding
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Nutella Lava Cake
- 3 ounces sugar-free nutella
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit/allulose
- 2 tablespoons super fine almond flour
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- butter and unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add the nutella into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or until it is melted and runny.
- In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, vanilla extract and sweetener, then whisk using a hand mixer for 3 minutes until frothy and lighter in color.
- Mix in the nutella, then mix in the almond flour, just until well combined.
- Take 2 (7 ounce) ramekins that have been well buttered and dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder and place them on a small baking sheet.
- Pour the batter into both ramekins and bake for 8-9 minutes or until the edges have set, but the center is still a little jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 1-2 minutes, then loosen the cakes using a knife. Invert the cakes onto small dessert plates and let them sit for another minute or so until they release onto the plates.
- Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sweetener, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and/or fresh berries.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
Looks absolutely wonderful!
Keto Cooking Christian
Thank you, it really is so delicious!