This chocolate dreamy mousse has a secret ingredient that is super healthy...avocado! That's right, and you cannot even taste it under all that chocolatey goodness!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Avocados are one of the quintessential Keto foods and are loaded with health benefits. This recipe combines these wonderful benefits with a sweet treat that is sure to satisfy!
This chocolate avocado mousse is so silky, creamy and chocolatey, you will not believe there are 2 whole avocados in it! And honestly, you cannot even taste them!
When selecting avocados for this Keto mousse, keep in mind the more ripe the avocado, the more you are likely to taste it in this recipe. Avocados that have just become ripe, really allows the cocoa powder flavor to be front and center!
What's in Avocado Keto Chocolate Mousse
- Avocados (just ripe)
- Coconut cream (see note below)
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Swerve confectioners (see note below)
- Coffee extract
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Cut open your avocado, remove the pits and spoon out into the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse for a minute or so, just to break them up a bit.
Then add in the heavy cream, coconut cream, vanilla and coffee extracts. Pulse for 2 minutes, or until well combined.
Add in the unsweetened cocoa powder, salt and Swerve confectioners and continue blending. Be sure to scrape down the sides, so that all of the avocado is well incorporated.
Once the mousse is silky smooth, it is ready to serve!
Sprinkle with Lily's dark chocolate shavings or whipped cream. Or if you want to get fancy, add to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe into a bowl.
Note: The coconut cream is the thick solid cream that you get when you refrigerate a can of full fat unsweetened coconut milk overnight. The cream rises to the top and solidifies, this is what you want, discard the water.
Are Avocados Keto?
Avocados are truly a Keto super food! They're rich in healthy fat, omega-3 and very low in net carbs. And did you know that avocados have 60% more potassium than bananas? How awesome is that?!
They're also a great source of B vitamin, vitamin E and vitamin K. And another thing that makes avocados great for Keto is they have the highest fiber content of any fruit!
What are the Carbs in Avocado?
Because avocado's range in size, it's best to determine portion size by weight. There are 4 net carbs per 2 oz. serving of avocado.
Tips for Making Keto Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- The amount of sweetness in this recipe, is fairly subtle. So, if you want your mousse a little sweeter, add another tablespoon of Swerve confectioners. I would make the recipe as is and taste it as you go to see how much sweetener you need to add.
- Chocolate takes center stage in this Keto Mousse, so make sure you use a really good quality cocoa. It will be the most predominant flavor, so quality really matters.
- Just as you don't want overly ripe avocados, you definitely want to make sure they aren't under ripe either because they will take on a grainier texture when blended.
- If you find that your mousse is a little too thick, just thin it out some with additional heavy whipping cream or even a little almond milk until you get it to the consistency you prefer.
- This low carb chocolate mousse is best served chilled so allow it to chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving.
- Freeze leftovers! Yes, this avocado chocolate mousse freezes great. Store in an air tight container and place in the freezer for up to a couple of months. You can even enjoy this dessert as a substitute for ice cream!
What Does Avocado Chocolate Mousse Taste Like?
Honestly, like chocolate! When avocados are mixed with the coconut cream and the cocoa powder, the "green" flavor of avocado is completely lost. The texture of the avocado thickens the mousse and gives it extra creaminess, but it taste just like a rich chocolate mousse.
Additions to Keto Chocolate Mousse
This avocado mousse is perfect just the way it is, but feel free to have a little fun with it by adding other low carb ingredients. Some you may want to consider are:
- Slightly roasted almond slivers
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Fresh berries of your choice
Also be sure to try this Sugar-Free Chocolate Pudding, that's Keto friendly and has a wonderful Mexican flair to it!
Or, if you're not a fan of avocados? Try this Chocolate Keto Pudding instead, it's rich, thick and super creamy!
More Keto Mousse Recipes
- Peanut Butter Mousse
- Almond Joy Chocolate Mousse
- Lemon Cheesecake Mousse
- Nutella Mousse
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Mousse
- Easy Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse
- Strawberry Coconut Cream Mousse
More Keto Chocolate Desserts
- Almond Joy Fudge
- Chocolate Mocha Mini Cupcakes
- No-Bake Chocolate & Raspberry Tart
- Salted & Caramelized Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate & Vanilla Swirl Cheesecake Bars
If you'd like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you'll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I'm offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
Keto Silky Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Cut open your avocado, remove the pits and spoon out into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for a minute or so, just to break them up a bit. Then add in the heavy cream, coconut cream, vanilla and coffee extracts. Pulse for 2 minutes, or until well combined.
- Add in the unsweetened cocoa powder, salt and swerve confectioners and continue blending. Be sure to scrape down the sides, so that all of the avocado is well incorporated.
- Once the mousse is silky smooth, it is ready to serve! Sprinkle with Lily's dark chocolate shavings or whipped cream. Or if you want to get fancy, add to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe into a bowl.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Originally published on May 21, 2018, updated on April 6, 2021 with new photos, new video and helpful tips.