This perfectly spicy, garlicky herb Cowboy Butter is the absolute best dipping sauce for your grilled steaks, chicken, shrimp or fish that you'll ever make! This one is a must-try!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Cowboy Butter Recipe
- Rich herby garlic butter sauce with a spicy kick
- Perfect for dipping steak, chicken, shrimp, fish and even veggies
- Made with simple healthy ingredients
- Takes just a few minutes to make
- Loaded with healthy fats
While cowboy butter recipes may have taken the internet by storm lately, just wait until you try this one! It’s made using a combination of ingredients, giving grilled steak, or most any type of protein, an incredibly unique flavor that will have your taste buds singing.
The best part about this cowboy butter dipping sauce recipe is that, unlike other compound butters, this sauce is served warm, which means, no chill time is required. All you need is 5 minutes of prep time and you'll have the most amazing flavor-packed butter dipping sauce that your guests will be obsessed with.
One of the many things you'll love about making this cowboy butter is you can cater it to your own taste buds. If you prefer it without heat, you can just omit the pepper or add even more if you like really spicy.
For another delicious way to add flavor to your grilled steak, you should try this easy Garlic Herb Compound Butter.
🛒 What's in Cowboy Butter
- Lemon thyme (or thyme)
- Dijon mustard
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Red pepper flakes
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Cowboy Butter Steak Sauce
Add all the ingredients, except for the butter, into a mixing bowl.
Tip: If using fresh garlic, you can use a microplane to help finely grate it.
Whisk to combine them.
Drizzle in the butter, while whisking the whole time.
Continue whisking until everything is well combined.
Serve immediately alongside your favorite steak, chicken, fish, shrimp or veggie!
Tip: Because the main ingredient is butter, as the mixture sits it will start to solidify. If it becomes too solid, just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it up.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight jar.
How Long Does Cowboy Butter Last?
When it's stored in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, it will stay fresh in the fridge up to 4-5 days.
Is Cowboy Butter Spicy?
It depends on the recipe. For this one, there is a descent amount of heat. If you're not sure how spicy you want it, start by using about ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper and taste it before adding the rest.
What Can I Use Cowboy Butter Sauce With?
There are many ways you can serve this homemade cowboy butter sauce. Here are some of the most popular choices:
- The most popular way to serve it is with Steak but you can also serve it with Pork Tenderloin, Grilled Chicken or Grilled Shrimp.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Breadsticks or stick it in the fridge and let it firm up to use as a flavored butter for your Keto Dinner Rolls.
- Cowboy butter makes an awesome way to sauté vegetables or even as a sauce to drizzle over veggies like Grilled Broccolini, Air Fryer Asparagus or Green Beans.
What is Cowboy Butter Made of?
The ingredients in recipes vary. Most commonly you will find an array or tangy, savory and spicy ingredients, such as lemon, Dijon mustard, fresh herbs, smoked paprika, and pepper of some sort.
Why is it Called Cowboy Butter?
No one seems to know why it's called Cowboy butter. I suppose it's fun to imagine that it was a sauce created by cowboy cooks while out on the open range, next to a campfire. But honestly, I am not sure cowboys ride around with these ingredients in their saddle.
Regardless of how it got its name, it's a savory and delicious compound buttery sauce that everyone, including cowboys, love to make as much as they love to eat it.
More Keto Sauce Recipes
- Bearnaise Sauce
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Easy Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Cheese Sauce for Veggies
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Buffalo Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Pesto
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme, chopped, (or fresh thyme)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add all the ingredients, except for the butter, into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine them.
- Drizzle in the butter, while whisking the whole time. Continue whisking until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately alongside your favorite steak, chicken, fish, shrimp or veggie!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight jar for a couple of weeks.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
Leave a Comment or Review