An Italian family favorite recipe of thinly sliced chicken breasts cooked to perfection then smothered in a rich and creamy marsala mushroom sauce!
Chicken Marsala is just one of the those favorite traditional Italian dishes that's everyone's favorite! And this Keto version, with the addition of mascarpone cheese, has the best and oh so creamy and luscious sauce.
If you're looking for the best gluten free chicken recipe, this one fits the bill!Mushrooms give this Chicken Marsala wonderful texture and incredible flavor.
What's in Keto Chicken Marsala
- Chicken breasts
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Chicken stock
- Mascarpone cheese
- Marsala wine
- Dried basil
- Fresh parley
- Olive oil
- Grass-fed butter
- Salt & Pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Chicken Marsala
Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Sauté the chicken, and season with basil, salt and pepper, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the butter to the pot and once it has melted, add the mushrooms. Continue sautéing until the mushrooms are tender.
Once the mushrooms have cooked and gotten good color, push them to one side. Add in the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds, careful not to burn it!
Deglaze the pot with the marsala wine, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom.
Stir in the chicken stock and most of the parsley (reserving some for garnish) then add the chicken back in. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, uncovered.
Remove the chicken and cook another 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Stir in the mascarpone cheese and mix in well. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until thickened.
Add the chicken back in just to heat it through.
Top with a garnish of parsley and serve along side your favorite Keto-friendly veggie or salad!
Tips for the Best Keto Chicken Marsala
- Using evenly cut chicken breasts or chicken cutlets will ensure even cooking.
- If you don't have Mascarpone cheese, you can use cream cheese, but you will get a slightly tangier flavor and the carb count will change, so be sure you adjust your macros accordingly.
- Marsala wine is an Italian wine that comes in dry and sweet. A dry wine is when cooking savory dishes.
- Don't throw out the left over wine. If kept in a cool place, it will still be good for weeks.
- If you prefer another wine, Madeira and port will work as a substitute. Both will lend a different flavor profile but it will still be delicious.
- For best results, slice your mushrooms fairly thick. As they cook, they will shrink in size. You want them to be a good size in the finished dish.
- Even though this recipes calls for Homemade Chicken Stock, if you're in a hurry, you can always use a high quality chicken bone broth like this from Kettle and Fire.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
Of course! Mushrooms are low in calories and carbs, which is perfect for Keto or low carb diets. Since mushrooms are usually cooked in some type of fat, that makes them a great way to incorporate more daily healthy fat into your diet!
They are packed with nutrients including a whopping 552mg of potassium per serving! When you're eating a Keto or low carb diet, getting enough potassium is really important.
What Keto Side Dishes Can I Serve with Chicken Marsala
You can serve this low carb chicken marsala with any leafy green vegetable or salad or try one of these delicious recipes:
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Rosemary Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Parmesan Baked Artichoke Hearts
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
Can I Freeze Leftover Keto Chicken Marsala?
You can freeze leftover Chicken Marsala, but just be aware that the cream may separate some and will require you to whisk it until it is well incorporated.
For best results, store the leftovers in an airtight freeze safe container and freeze up to a couple of months. To reheat you can place the leftovers right on top of the stove in a large skillet until heat through.
More Keto and Low Carb Italian Recipes
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Italian Antipasti Skewers
- Keto Meatballs Italian Style
- Italian Meat Sauce
- Italian Bread Sticks
- Italian Beef Braciole
FOLLOW ME FOR KETO RECIPES POSTED DAILY
Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 16 ounces chicken breasts, sliced into filets
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms (or button), sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup marsala wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Sauté the chicken, and season with basil, salt and pepper, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot, then sauté the mushrooms. Allow them to get some good color, then push to one side. Add in the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds, careful not to burn it!
- Deglaze the pot with the marsala wine, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom. Stir in the chicken stock and most of the parsley (reserving some for garnish) then add the chicken back in. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, uncovered.
- Remove the chicken and cook another 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Stir in the mascarpone cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken back in just to heat it through. Top with a garnish of parsley and serve along side your favorite Keto-friendly veggie or salad!
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.60% OFF KETO EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.