If you're a fan of Popeye's blackened chicken tenders, you're in for a huge treat! Homemade blackened seasoning makes these tenders the best you've ever had!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
If you thought the same flavors in blackened chicken tenders from your favorite fast food chicken restaurant was off limits on Keto, you'll be so happy to know this Keto blackened seasoning has you covered but without all the carbs!
Succulent juicy chicken breast tenders are blackened then served with a mouth watering dipping sauce that sends these tenders over the edge!
Keto blackened chicken tenders are fantastic with a simple green salad for lunch or served along side any low carb veggie for a complete and totally healthy dinner.
What's in Keto Blackened Chicken Tenders
- Chicken tenders
- Blackened Seasoning Mix
- Olive oil
- Sugar-Free Ketchup
- Garlic salt
- Smoked paprika
- Lemon juice
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Blackened Chicken Tenders
To Make the Zesty Dipping Sauce
Add all ingredients for the dipping sauce into a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
Set aside at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld, while you make the chicken.
To Make the Blackened Chicken
Add the chicken tenders to a large mixing bowl.
Sprinkle the blackened seasoning over the top. Toss the chicken until all the pieces are coated in the seasoning.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, along with the olive oil.
Add in the chicken tenders in batches and cook for several minutes on each side, until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165F using a meat thermometer.
Serve immediately with the dipping sauce on the side.
What Does Blackened Chicken Mean?
The term blackened actually refers to a cooking technique where meat is seasoned and seared in butter or other fat in a skillet. A famous chef, Paul Prudhomme, from New Orleans, created the seasoning used with this cooking method and it quickly became a new favorite all over the world.
This method of cooking along, with the homemade blackened seasoning, is great, not only for chicken, but also for shrimp, catfish, redfish, pork chops. pork loin and even certain cuts of beef like the tenderloin.
Are Keto Chicken Tenders with Blackened Seasoning Spicy?
Everyone has their on twist of flavors in blackened seasoning. The beauty of making your own seasoning is it can be as mild as you like it or have as much heat as you prefer.
Blackened seasoning is typically a cross between Cajun and Creole seasoning, and with the cayenne pepper, it is quite spicy. If you want to dial back on the heat, add a little more smoked paprika and a little less cayenne.
Are Chicken Tenders Keto?
Just like most meat, there are no carbs in chicken tenders. On Keto there's a focus on healthy fats. Because tenders come from the lean chicken breasts, it's a good idea to pair them with some sort of healthy fat like you find in casseroles, or with this yummy low carb dipping sauce.
Keto also encourages quality sources of protein and boy do chicken tenders deliver! They are an excellent, healthy source of protein, And if you can find organic chicken tenders, that's even better.
Can I Freeze Leftover Blackened Keto Chicken Tenders?
You sure can! Because these tenders are coated with some sort of breading, they can easily be thawed and reheated after freezing.
To ensure they keep their optimal freshness, it's recommended that you wrap the leftover tenders very well in plastic wrap then slip them into a freezer bag or an airtight container. They will keep in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
To reheat, place the frozen tender in the fridge over night to thaw. Place the thawed tenders on a sheet pan and reheat in the oven on 350F until they are warmed through.
Because they freeze so well, chicken tenders with blackened seasoning make a great meal prep idea! Make a double batch and freeze some for later when you need a quick lunch on the go or for dinner on a busy week night.
If you'd like more meal prep ideas, check out this article, 25 Keto Meal Prepping Ideas. It has easy to follow recipes for every meal of the day that are also excellent for freezing. Also included are some really great meal prep tips you may find helpful.
Can I Cook Keto Chicken Tenders in the Air Fryer?
You can. Having said that, these low carb chicken tenders are better when pan fried in a little fat. Tenderloins, by nature, are super lean. And because an air fryer doesn't use any type of oil, they tend to be more moist when cooked stove top.
Substitutions for Blackened Keto Chicken Tenders
- You can use chicken breasts, cut into the strips, if you don't have tenders available. Tenderloins are the most tender and juiciest part of the breast, so they are the better choice if possible.
- If you want to skip frying, these tenderloins can be baked in a 375F oven for about 13 minutes, flip and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Make sure to spray your sheet pan with an olive oil spray to keep them from sticking. Just as a note, oven baked tenders will lose some of the crispiness that frying provides.
- These Keto chicken tenders are not only a great low carb meal, you can cut them into smaller, nugget sized pieces, and serve them as an appetizer.
What Can I Serve with Blackened Chicken Tenders?
One of the many great things about this low carb chicken tender recipe is it's so versatile that it goes with many Keto side dishes. If you're looking for some inspiration, give these a try:
- Easy Keto Coleslaw
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Avocado Fries
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Eggplant Fries
- Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Francese
- Grilled Asian Chicken Salad
- Creamy Poblano Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Marsala
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Blackened Chicken Tenders
For the Blackened Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 3 tablespoons Blackened Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Zesty Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
To Make the Zesty Dipping Sauce
- Add all ingredients for the dipping sauce into a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld, while you make the chicken.
To Make the Blackened Chicken
- Add the chicken tenders to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the blackened seasoning over the top. Toss the chicken until all the pieces are coated in the seasoning.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, along with the olive oil. Add in the chicken tenders in batches and cook for several minutes on each side, until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165F using a meat thermometer.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce on the side.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
Leave a Comment or Review