If you're looking for the absolute best Keto taco soup, you've found it! This easy to make recipe is loaded with amazing, robust flavor you're going to love.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
I enjoy soup year around, but when the weather cools off and temps begin to drop, there's just nothing better than a warm and hearty bowl of taco soup.
This low carb taco soup recipe is seasoned with homemade Ranch Seasoning and a homemade taco seasoning recipe, that not only lends incredible flavor, but also insures you are using seasonings with no added preservatives.
Serve it with your favorite taco toppings and you'll have all the same wonder tacos flavors but in piping hot bowl of soup that tastes amazing.
Rich and creamy Keto taco soup is so quick and easy and the whole family will love it.
Low carb option: If you're following more of a low carb diet verses Keto, adding in black beans is so good, and it really doesn't add too many net carbs. For low carb dieters, there are only about 5 net carbs per serving of black beans in this soup.
What's in Keto Taco Soup
- Chicken stock
- Ground beef
- Cream cheese
- Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- Taco seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
- Olive oil
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Low Carb Taco Soup
Add the ground beef to a dutch oven or pot, over medium heat and brown.
Then push to the side once browned. Add in the olive oil and onion, then sauté for a few minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Pour in the taco seasoning and allow to toast for about a minute, while stirring.
Stir in the Rotel with the liquid and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add in the cream cheese, ranch seasoning and chicken stock, then stir until well combined.
Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened to your liking. Add in the chopped cilantro and serve with your choice of garnish over the top. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
This soup does have a little spicy kick, so if you don’t like spicy foods, use canned tomatoes instead of the Rotel with green chilies.
Can I Make This Taco Soup in a Slow Cooker? How can I Make this Instant Pot Taco Soup?
The great news about this recipe is you can it several ways. The cooking method will differ so follow these tips for the best results.
Slow Cooker Taco Soup: Just brown the meat and sauté first. This Slow Cooker has an insert that allows you to brown it stove top. Once the meat and onions are down, add the other ingredients to the slow cooker or crock pot and cook for about 4 hours on low until hot.
Instant Pot Taco Soup: Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, brown the meat and sauté the onions. Add the other ingredients and set the Instant Pot to pressure mode. Allow to pressure cook for 8 minutes. Once it has completed pressure cooking, all the soup to sit another 10-15 minutes before releasing the pressure and opening.
Suggested Toppings for Low Carb Taco Soup
The soup is great all on it’s own, but when you add toppings, it makes it brings together all those flavor you look for in traditional tacos!
Try adding some toppings, like a dollop of sour cream, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro. If you like extra kick you can add sliced jalapenos, fresh or pickled. You can also crush up some keto friendly or gluten free tortilla chips over the top.
Fresh lime makes a beautiful garnish, but I love to add just a small squeeze of fresh lime juice right before serving.
What Can I Serve with this Easy Taco Soup Recipe?
This soup is hearty enough to be served as an entrée. The meat and cheese are so filling, you won't need a side dish. But if you're family is anything like mine, they love some sort of bread or crackers with every meal. No worries, here are some great low carb, gluten free options you may want to consider:
Tips for Making the Best Keto Taco Soup
- About the beef : One the things that give this low carb taco soup so much flavor is using a good quality ground beef. While you don't necessarily have to use grass-fed, I would recommend it, if it's available. I also recommend using 85/15 ground beef. It gives the meat a nice flavor without rendering too much fat. You can also use ground turkey, chicken or a combination of ground meat for this Keto soup recipe.
- Time savers: I am all about meal prep. That's why I make up batches of homemade seasonings and keep them on hand. You can pre-chop the toppings and shred the cheese a day before and store in them an air tight container until you're ready for them.
- Substitutions to consider: If you're in a time crunch and want to use store-bought seasoning, you certainly can, Just be sure and read those labels. You can also use Chicken Bone Broth or beef broth instead, if you prefer.
- Needing a milder version? This low carb taco soup is a little spicy because of the rotel tomatoes. You can dial back on the spice by using fire roasted or just canned diced tomatoes. The taco seasoning is a little spicy but it's not enough to add heat to the soup but you can use a little less than the recipe calls for if you must. You can also add green bell pepper or garlic if you'd like.
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Smoked Sausage and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Taco Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock, or beef
- 1 pound ground beef, I use 85%
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 15 ounces Rotel tomatoes, original, with green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon homemade ranch seasoning, or 2 teaspoons store bought
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- diced avocado
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced black olives
- Add the ground beef to a dutch oven or pot and heat to medium. Brown the ground beef, then push to the side once browned.
- Add in the olive oil and onion, then sauté for a few minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Pour in the taco seasoning and allow to toast for about a minute, while stirring.
- Stir in the Rotel with the liquid and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add in the cream cheese, ranch seasoning and chicken stock, then stir until well combined.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened to your liking. Add in the chopped cilantro and serve with your choice of garnish over the top.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.