Smooth and creamy Homemade French Onion Dip, filled with perfectly caramelized onions and a blend of savory herbs, is a healthy take on a classic crowd-pleasing favorite.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Easy French Onion Dip Recipe
- 🛒 What's in Homemade French Onion Dip
- 🔪 How to Make Classic Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- What Low Carb Dippable Snacks Can I Serve with Dip?
- Which Dips are Keto?
- Is Sour Cream Okay on Keto?
- What Else Can I Do with Leftover Dips?
- Can I Make French Onion Dip without Sour Cream?
- More Keto Snacks
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Easy French Onion Dip Recipe
- Classic French onion dip flavor
- Rich caramelized onions
- Easy to make with healthy ingredients
- Perfect for parties
If there was ever a dip that could be considered an American classic, it would have to be cool and creamy French onion dip. Though the name would lead most to believe it originated in a French kitchen decades ago, it actually originated in California, using Lipton's French Onion Soup Mix.
While the mix makes a tasty dip, if you're focused on eating clean and healthy, seeing words like maltodextrin, sugar and corn syrup as listed ingredients, you'll see why making it from scratch is so important. And the best part is, it's super easy to make and it's absolutely scrumptious...so much better than the original!
This recipe uses rich and sweet caramelized onions with a combination of mayonnaise, cream cheese and tangy sour cream, with an added array of fresh herbs to create the most delectable dip that's guaranteed to be devoured at your next party.
If you love savory French Onion flavors, you should also check out this recipe for French Onion Chicken. It is one of the best chicken recipes I have ever tasted!
🛒 What's in Homemade French Onion Dip
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Olive oil
- Onion powder
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Classic Sour Cream and Onion Dip
Heat a skillet to medium low and add in the butter and olive oil. Once melted, add in the onions, half the salt and pepper.
Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the onions have caramelized and have some good color.
Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, making sure not to brown it.
Remove the onions and garlic from the heat and allow them to cool while you mix up the rest of the dip.
Tip: Don't rush this step by cooking the onions on a higher heat, because instead of caramelizing them, you will fry them and won't get that deep rich flavor.
Tip: If you don't like cream cheese, you can use mascarpone instead.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue mixing.
Lastly, add in the cooled onions and garlic and mix using a spoon.
Allow the dip to chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours so the flavors can meld.
What Low Carb Dippable Snacks Can I Serve with Dip?
Which Dips are Keto?
When it comes to healthy, low carb dips, homemade is the way to go. You not only get to control what ingredients you use, but you also get to adjust the flavors to suit your personal preference. Here are some top Keto favorite dips that are always a hit:
- Crab Rangoon Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Sausage Rotel Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
Is Sour Cream Okay on Keto?
Sour cream is a perfect keto-friendly choice. Though it adds more fat to your diet, it’s important to know that you should avoid low-fat and nonfat versions. Remember, that as a general rule of thumb, when the fat content decreases, the carb content increases.
What Else Can I Do with Leftover Dips?
This dip can be used as a sauce or condiments in other recipes. Here are some great creative ideas for you to consider:
- Add it to the top of nachos with Keto Tortilla Chips instead of sour cream.
- Add it to burgers or sliders.
- Drizzled over low carb Pizza or crustless pizza bowls.
- Add it as a topping to low carb tacos using this Taco Meat and these homemade Keto Tortillas.
- Use to make these tasty Italian Pinwheels.
Can I Make French Onion Dip without Sour Cream?
It takes a tangy component to help balance out the natural sweetness of the caramelized onions. If you don't want to use sour cream, try using unsweetened Greek Yogurt in equal parts.
More Keto Snacks
- Keto Tortilla Chips
- Everything Crackers
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites
- Homemade Cheese Crisps
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Homemade French Onion Dip
- 2 medium yellow onions, minced
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium low and add in the butter and olive oil. Once melted, add in the onions, half the salt and pepper. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the onions have caramelized and have some good color.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, making sure not to brown it.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the heat and allow them to cool while you mix up the rest of the dip.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue mixing.
- Lastly, add in the cooled onions and garlic and mixing using a spoon.
- Allow the dip to chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours so the flavors can meld, then serve with your favorite Keto friendly chips, crackers, pork rinds or fresh cut veggies like celery, bell peppers, raw cauliflower, cucumber or carrots.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.