A super quick low carb and Keto friendly version of the classic beef stroganoff, with all the same flavors and creaminess!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
I'm usually not one to take big shortcuts with meals, I like making things as authentic and "from scratch" as I can.
But sometimes when we're short on time but want a healthy and hearty meal that tastes like you put a lot of effort into making it, recipes like this are the answer!
This quick and easy Keto Stroganoff uses roast beef, fresh mushrooms, mascarpone cheese, sour cream and a few simple ingredients that you might have on hand. And the best part? It can be made in 15 minutes, has great flavor and will satisfy even your picky eaters!
What's in Easy Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- Roast beef
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Garlic clove
- White wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- Chicken stock
- Sour cream
- Mascarpone cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Xanthan gum
- Salt and pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
Heat a skillet over medium and add in the butter, then sauté the mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper for a few minutes, until you have some good color.
All the brown bits on the bottom of the pan, that's exactly what you want! This is important, because it will give a lot of flavor to the sauce! Add in the garlic for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up the brown bits of flavor.
Add in the beef or chicken stock, roast beef, Worcestershire sauce and mascarpone cheese.
Simmer for 5-7 minutes, then stir in the xanthan gum and sour cream, then turn off the heat, once it has melted. I only used ¼ teaspoon of the xanthan gum and it was the perfect amount.
That's it, you're done! I told you it was quick and easy!
Serve over Palmini noodles, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower or shirataki noodles and enjoy!
If you love this stroganoff recipe, check out this Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff Casserole. It also has all the classic flavors of traditional beef but is made easy by using ground beef.
What Kind of Beef Do I Use in Keto Stroganoff?
This is a very versatile recipe in that you can use left over leftover Instant Pot Roast or you can use deli roast beef.
Make sure you read the label because you'll want to avoid any brands that have dextrose or any type of sugar listed as an ingredient.
You can serve this over a number of veggies, but it is especially good over cauliflower rice or Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower .
If you have leftover stroganoff, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze Leftover Stroganoff?
You sure can! Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff is excellent for meal planning also! Make a batch or even a double batch, place in an air tight freezer safe container and freeze for up to a couple of months. Just thaw in the fridge and reheat stove top just until heated through. You can change up what you serve it over for a completely different flavor each time.
If you would like more great ideas for meal prepping, this article, 25+ Meal Prep Ideas, will provide you with a lot of inspiration on how to serve quick and easy but healthy meals every night of the week.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
One of the main ingredients that rounds off this beef stroganoff are mushrooms. They are a hearty addition to many casseroles. So, a lot of people want to know if there are carbs in mushrooms.
They have approximately 2.5 net carbs per 3.5 oz. serving, which makes them a perfect low carb option! They're nutritious too with being a great source of antioxidants, vitamin B and D and potassium.
If you'd like to read more about the health benefits of mushrooms, this article on Healthline has a lot of good information.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff
This Keto beef stroganoff, when served over cauliflower rice or any type veggie noodles, is pretty much a complete meal. But if you're wanting to stretch it out by serving a Keto side dish with this, here are some excellent options:
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Cole Slaw
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels
- Lime Cilantro Broccoli Slaw
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound rare/medium-rare roast beef, sliced thin
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- Heat a skillet over medium and add in the butter, then sauté the mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper for a few minutes, until you have some good color. All the brown bits on the bottom of the pan, that's exactly what you want! This is important, because it will give a lot of flavor to the sauce! Add in the garlic for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up the brown bits of flavor. Add in the beef or chicken stock, roast beef, Worcestershire sauce and mascarpone cheese.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes, then stir in the Xanthan Gum and sour cream, then turn off the heat, once it has melted. I only used ¼ teaspoon of the Xanthan Gum and it was the perfect amount.
- That's it, you're done! I told you it was quick and easy! Serve over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower or shirataki noodles and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.