Moist and delicious coconut cupcakes with coconut frosting, topped with shredded coconut!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
These coconut cupcakes are so moist and delicious, even those who aren’t following a Keto diet will love them. The frosting is rich and creamy with delicious flavors of coconut and vanilla. And, they’re only 4 carbs per (frosted) cupcake!
These babies are loaded with coconut flavor! I use coconut extract, coconut cream, unsweetened coconut milk and top them off with shredded coconut! So yeah, tons of coconut flavor in these Low Carb cupcakes!
What’s in Keto Coconut Cupcakes
- Super fine almond flour
- Cream Cheese
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Unsweetened canned coconut milk
- Swerve Granular
- Swerve Confectioners
- Baking powder
- Xanthan gum
- Coconut extract
- Vanilla extract
- Flaked coconut
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Coconut Cupcakes
For Make the Gluten Free Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350F
Separate the eggs, and set yolks aside. Using a hand mixer, whip up the egg whites until you have soft peaks.
Add the swerve to the egg yolks and mix. Then add the vanilla, coconut extract and unsweetened coconut milk and continue mixing.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix by hand. Then fold in the egg whites until combined. Scoop into silicone cupcake liners or paper liners.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Sugar Free Frosting
Whip the mascarpone and cream cheese together in a bowl using a hand mixer. Add most of the unsweetened coconut milk (reserving about a tablespoon), Swerve confectioners, coconut and vanilla extracts and mix until smooth and creamy.
Mix in more of the coconut milk if needed, to get your desired consistency. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag (ziplock bag with the tip cut off will work too), and chill in the fridge until the cupcakes have cooled completely.
Enjoy with or without the flaked coconut topping!
Note: The unsweetened coconut milk in the cupcakes are the (thick) solids that rise to the top of a can that has been refrigerated overnight.
Can I Freeze Coconut Cupcakes with Sugar Free Frosting?
You sure can. The best way to do this is to do a quick pre-freeze. Set completely cooled cupcakes on a sheet pan and a freeze for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Remove them from the freezer and wrap them individually in plastic wrap or in an airtight container and place them in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
To thaw, take them out of the freezer, remove the plastic wrap and allow to thaw on the counter top or in the fridge.
Is Coconut Keto?
Yes! Unlike some other fruits that are high in carbs, coconuts are mostly fiber and fat. Even better, the fat found in coconuts is MCT (medium-chain-triglycerides), which promotes a feeling of fullness and has been linked to other healthy benefits. If you would like to know more about the benefits of coconuts, check out this article.
What are the Carbs in Coconut?
The star ingredient in these delectable Keto cupcakes is coconut. The great news is there is only 1 carb per tablespoon of unsweetened coconut.
Tips for the Best Coconut Keto Cupcakes
- Cupcakes with almond flour are much more delicate when they come out of the oven. For that reason it is recommended you allow them to cool for a few minutes in the muffin liners before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- If you’re unable to find Mascarpone cheese, you can substitute it with cream cheese in equal amounts. They will have a little more tart flavor but will be equally delicious. Make sure to adjust your macros accordingly.
- Once cupcakes are frosted, they must be stored chilled. Store them in a single layer in a cupcake keeper or other container with a sealed lid in the fridge for up to a week.
More Keto Coconut Recipes
- Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
- Thai Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- Coconut Lime Fat Bombs
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Coconut Granola
- Strawberry Coconut Fat Bombs
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Pork
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Toasted Coconut Butter
- Strawberry Coconut Cream Mousse
- Coconut Meringue Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Brownie
- Strawberry Coconut Cream Popsicles
- Toasted Coconut Protein Shake
- Toasted Coconut Fat Bombs
If coconut isn’t really your thing, you might like these Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting!
More Low Carb Cupcake Recipes
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Lemon Cupcakes
If you’d like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you’ll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I’m offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
Coconut Cupcakes – Keto, Low Carb & Gluten Free
For the Cupcakes
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt to a bowl and whisk together, then set aside.
- Separate the eggs, and set yolks aside. Whip up the egg whites until you have soft peaks.
- Add the swerve to the egg yolks and mix. Then add the vanilla, coconut extract and unsweetened coconut milk and continue mixing.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix by hand. Then fold in the egg whites until combined. Scoop into cupcake silicone liners or paper liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Whip the mascarpone and cream cheese together in a bowl using a hand mixer. Add most of the unsweetened coconut milk (reserving about a tablespoon), swerve confectioners (or powdered erythritol) coconut and vanilla extracts and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more of the coconut milk if needed, to get your desired consistency.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag (ziplock bag with the tip cut off will work too), and chill in the fridge until the cupcakes have cooled completely.Enjoy with or without the flaked coconut topping!