Homemade cranberry sauce is incredibly easy to make and only takes about 15 minutes! This Keto friendly version of cranberry sauce is every bit as good as the traditional version!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You'll Love this Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- 🛒 What's in Low Carb Cranberry Sauce
- 🔪 How to Make Keto Cranberry Sauce
- Will Cranberry Sauce Thicken Without Sugar?
- How Do You Reduce the Sweetness of Cranberry Sauce?
- Does Cranberry Sauce Have a lot of Carbs? Are Carbs Cranberries Keto Friendly?
- How Many Net Carbs are in Cranberry Sauce?
- Can I Freeze Cranberry Sauce?
- ☑️ Storage Instructions
- 🍴 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce
- 🍽️ More Keto Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- More Keto and Low Carb Sauces
❤️ Why You'll Love this Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Fresh cranberries made into a sugar-free cranberry sauce
- Perfect balance of sweet and tartness
- Made with just a few healthy ingredients
- Takes only 15 minutes to make
- Vegan, gluten-free and family friendly
When I first transitioned to Keto I was afraid I would have to miss out on one of my favorite holiday side dishes.
But with a few substitutions, this homemade Keto-fied cranberry sauce came to the rescue and you know what? You'll never be able to tell it's sugar free! Trust me, it's that good!
If you have leftovers, don't worry because I've included some great recipes you can put that leftover cranberry sauce to good use with below. In fact, they're so good, I always make a double batch, just to be sure I have some left over.
You can also spread some over pancakes or waffles, use in a protein shake or even make a Cranberry Vinaigrette with it! Ah, go ahead and a double batch! With all the recipe possibilities, you're going to need it.
🛒 What's in Low Carb Cranberry Sauce
- Lemon juice
- Allulose (or equivalent)
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Keto Cranberry Sauce
Add the water, orange zest and sweetener to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Add in the cranberries and lemon juice, then simmer on low for 12-15 minutes or until the cranberries burst open. Be sure to stir occasionally.
If you want your sauce a little chunky, cook closer to 12 minutes, if you want a smoother sauce, cook closer to 15 minutes.
The longer it cooks, the more the cranberries will break down.
Remove from the stovetop, transfer the sauce to a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
And it's that easy! With 5 ingredients and a just a few minutes and you can enjoy your favorite Keto Thanksgiving recipe to accompany your turkey, Keto Gravy and Keto Stuffing without the worry of blowing your macros!
Will Cranberry Sauce Thicken Without Sugar?
Sugar is not needed to thicken cranberry sauce. The pectin in the lemon juice helps to achieve that. If you're wondering, "Can you eat cranberries without sugar?" You can, but because fresh cranberries are rather tart, so most likely you'll want to use some sort of sugar substitutes.
I recommended Allulose Powdered. If you can't find allulose, you can use Swerve confectioners, Monk Fruit, Erythritol, or a combination of them. You'll want to use the powdered forms of which ever type sweetener you choose. I prefer allulose because it has no cooling after effect. See recipe card for substitution amounts.
How Do You Reduce the Sweetness of Cranberry Sauce?
If you got a little heavy handed with the sweetener and you're needing to tone it down, you can add little more lemon juice. Add a little at a time until you get it just the way you like it.
Does Cranberry Sauce Have a lot of Carbs? Are Carbs Cranberries Keto Friendly?
The holidays were approaching when I first began my low carb journey. One of the first things I had to find out was, " Is cranberry sauce good for weight loss? Can I eat cranberry on Keto?" I was so happy to find out that in moderation cranberries are perfectly fine on Keto or any low carb diet.
Since you're not likely to sit down and eat a whole bowl of cranberry sauce, though it's SO good you may be tempted, a serving along side your turkey will have minimal impact on your carb allowance.
If you are worried about using the orange zest, you can always just substitute it with a little orange extract. But truly, the orange zest doesn't change the carb count enough to worry about.
How Many Net Carbs are in Cranberry Sauce?
This recipe makes 6 servings. Cranberry sauce has so much flavor, a little bit goes a long way. And with only 4 net carbs per generous serving size in this sugar free cranberry sauce you can enjoy it guilt-free.
Can I Freeze Cranberry Sauce?
Absolutely. All you have to do is take it from the fridge, place it in an air tight container and place a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the sauce before closing the lid on the container. It will keep for about a month in the freezer.
To thaw it, just place it in the fridge over night then set it out on the counter for about 30 minutes prior to serving it.
☑️ Storage Instructions
Store leftover cranberry sauce in an airtight container for 4-5 days or freeze.
🍴 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce
If you happen to have some leftover cranberry sauce, you can put it to good use with any number of these recipes:
- Cranberry Vinaigrette: Serve this sweet and tangy dressing over your favorite salads or use as a marinade before grilling chicken, steak or seafood.
- Baked Brie with Cranberry: Brie cheese baked until melted and gooey and topped with cranberry sauce makes the perfect party appetizer.
- Cranberry Smoothie: Quick and easy to make, this smoothie is cool and refreshing! Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder and make it a Keto meal replacement shake.
- Cranberry Sauce and Walnut Muffins: Serve these warm and fluffy muffins for breakfast, brunch or enjoy as an afternoon snack.
- Cranberry Walnut Crumble Bars: Baked buttery shortbread-like crust with sweet cranberry filling and topped with a cinnamon streusel topping, these bars are an absolutely delicious Keto sweet treat!
🍽️ More Keto Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower
- Easy Creamed Spinach
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus with Crispy Prosciutto
- Jalapeño Popper Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
- Easy Sautéed Mushrooms
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Herb Sausage Stuffing
More Keto and Low Carb Sauces
- Raspberry Sauce
- 5 Minute Lemon Curd
- Strawberry Sauce
- Sugar-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Easy Salted Caramel Sauce
- Blueberry Sauce
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Homemade Keto Cranberry Sauce
- Add the water, orange zest and sweetener to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add in the cranberries and lemon juice, then simmer on low for 12-15 minutes or until the cranberries burst open. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- If you want your sauce a little more chunky, cook closer to 12 minutes, if you want a smoother sauce, cook closer to 15 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more the cranberries will break down. Mine took exactly 14 minutes, which was perfect for me.
- Remove from the stovetop, transfer the sauce to a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Store leftovers in an airtight jar for 5-6 days.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Originally published on November 20, 2018, updated on October 10, 2023 with improvements to the recipe, photos, new recipe information and helpful tips.